Conservation District History
The Grassroots conservation led to the passing of the Conservation District law over 50 years ago, this law stated the need for the development of county conservation districts. The Franklin County Conservation District was created on February 14, 1956.
Every county in Pennsylvania, except Philadelphia County, currently has a conservation district. A board of directors is appointed by the county commissioners and acts as the governing body. The board members must reside within their representative county and are chosen from different economic backgrounds.
Watch a short video about Conservation Districts.